California Prisoner Hunger Strike for Human Rights [link]
Video, Hearings, Testimony & Radio Show on SOLITARY CONFINEMENT HEARING -
Here are raw footage videos from the Feb 11, 2014 Joint Legislative Hearing on Solitary Confinement, posted at the "CA Prisoner Hunger Strike" youtube channel. All of these videos are from people who testify to abolish long term solitary confinement:
* Craig Haney [www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtE3AYPMcPUe]
* Charles Carbone - [www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMGx67H1nTU]
* Anne Weills - [www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9acaiH4anE]
* Public Comment - [www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHw6bZtb9A]
SOLITARY CONFINEMENT RALLY
* Dolores [www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9gYXXb-aK4]
* Marie [www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMGx67H1nTU]
* Steven [www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeyq50eL4pY]
* Misty [www.youtube.com/watch?v=POGwLSMqB6c]
"Prison Focus Show", with Bato with Leonard, Feb 20, 2014, on Poor People's Radio KPOO 89.5fm [https://app.box.com/s/1p2uywvedqrhc6387oqc]
"Senator Durbin to Hold Congressional Hearing on Solitary Confinement"
CHICAGO (AP) -- U.S. Senator Dick Durbin is holding a second hearing on the use of solitary confinement in U.S. prisons and jails.
The Illinois Democrat says he will chair the hearing on Feb. 25 in Washington.
He says the U.S. holds far more prisoners in solitary confinement -- also known as isolation or segregation -- than any democratic nation.
Durbin held the first-ever Congressional hearing on solitary confinement in 2012 [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ID=7d4f1128-4d15-4112-aa48-5315cb395142]. It included testimony from experts on reform efforts that they claim have reduced the use of solitary confinement while lowering prison violence rates and saving millions of dollars.
This month's hearing will explore developments since 2012.
- - -
Video of the 2012 Congressional hearing can be found at www.judiciary.senate.gov. This was the second hearing Senator Durbin has chaired focusing on human rights issues in US prisons. The first looked at the treatment of mentally ill inmates in US prisons. More information about that hearing can be found here [http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=e655f9e2809e5476862f735da14f4a11].
Related Files -
* Testimony of Anthony C. Graves (PDF) [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=54d3d7f9-7ec6-4bc2-8a0e-9af3f58b9431]
* Testimony of Charles E. Samuels, Jr. (PDF) [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=57a473c1-28b0-4650-af81-ee930994346b]
* Testimony of Christopher B. Epps (PDF) [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=655e58bc-298e-4870-a7dd-6a784607471e]
* Testimony of Professor Craig Haney (PDF) [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=60d33684-06d6-4cf1-bd95-58564e9dc8e8]
* Testimony of Stuart M. Andrews, Jr. (PDF) [http://www.durbin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=a550952d-2aed-4078-92b2-3ee1027ea0be]